These are the different terms used for stages of visual impairment.
- Severely Sight Impaired (SSI) previously Blind
- Sight Impaired (SI) previously Partially Sighted
- Registered Severely Sight Impaired or Sight Impaired
- Low Vision
The following information is intended to give:
- Provide a general understanding of visual impairment and eye conditions.
- Awareness of the impact of visual loss on daily life.
- Understanding the practical solutions to some of the issues that come with a visual impairment.
- Promote best practice in interacting with someone with visual impairment.
Vision and Age
- As we get older our sight deteriorates in one way or another.
- Many of us will require a reading prescription when we reach our 40’s.
- Many eye diseases are a result of ageing, and in particular macular degeneration is directly linked to age.
- Other conditions that can appear in later life are Glaucoma, Cataract and Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Neurological Vision Loss